Italian Italian Language - English English Language
The Surroundings - The Agritourism La Rosa of Cartoceto
The Surroundings - The Agritourism La Rosa of Cartoceto

What to do a Cartoceto

WE ARE CLOSED FOR WORKS, REOPEN AS SOON AS POSSIBLE

The surroundings, exhibitions and fairs in Cartoceto.

Cartoceto is a small fortified village rich in history and culture. It's situated in a wonderful landscape of olive trees producing the famous olive oil which makes Cartoceto well known nationwide. It lies on a hilly ground on the left bank of the valley of the river Metauro just 16 Km from the Adriatic sea which is well visible from the crest of the hill and from Cartoceto itself. Here follows just a few of the famous attractions in Cartoceto.

The Olive Oil Exhibition

The "Olive oil exhibition", which has become an important benchmark for olive growing in the Marche region, was founded in 1977 by the Proloco association that still takes part in the event planning together with the municipal administration. It involves at least eight municipalities (Cartoceto, Saltara, Serrungarina, Mombaroccio, Monteciccardo, Sant'Angelo in Lizzola, Montemaggiore al Metauro and Piagge) that created a committee (Coldimarca) whose aims are the development and the touristic, economic and environmental promotion of the valley of the rivers Metauro and Foglia. The exhibition contributes to make Cartoceto famous nationwide because of its affiliation to the "Città dellíolio" ("The city of oil") association which counts more than 200 olive localities and it's sponsored by the Marche region and the province Pesaro-Urbino. The "Olive oil exhibition" takes place in the first two Sundays of November. On this occasion the oil mills and the wineries are open to visitors who can then take part to the olive oil and wine production. During those days Garibaldi Square counts thousands of visitors: in the wine and olive oil producers' stands you can taste typical products and discover the flavors of ancient products in the old taverns located in the historic centre. Each year the exhibition offers important and cultural programs. The last edition saw a greater international participation rate, represented by a group of German citizens led by mayor Reiner from Hugelsheim, a small town recently partnered with Cartoceto.

The Collegiate Churc of Saint Mary of Mercy

The Church was designed by the architects Cesare and Giuseppe Selvelli from Fano. It was built in 1835 in place of the fifteenth-century church dedicated to Our Lady of the Rosary which stood near the old square (now Garibaldi Square). In the Collegiate Church of Saint Mary of Mercy there are some paintings such as Our Lady with Jesus and works of art representing angels and saints by the painter Bartolomeo Morganti (1527). The Church keeps works of art by Barocci and Ceccarini while the organ was constructed by Giovanni Pizzinardi in Murano. The Sanctuary of Our Lady of Graces stands on the left side of the Church. It was built in 1886 and it still keeps the venerated image of Our lady with Jesus realized by an unknown painter in the end of the fourteenth century. This fresco was originally placed in a niche but, after miraculous events, it was moved to the Sanctuary.

The Monastery and the Church of Saint Mary of Aid

The Monastery is located just outside the old town in a place surrounded by the Mont Partemio. It was founded by the Austin friars in 1500 but the current structure was built by the architect Francesco Maria Ciaffaroni (Vanvitelli's pupil) in 1782. The brick cross vaults and the big round arches of its cloister exert a strong fascination. The Monastery keeps important canvas as the Immaculate Conception by the sixteenth-century painter Bartolomeo Morganti and the Flagellation attributed to Pompeo Morganti. The Church of Saint Mary of Aid, whose central planís vault is dome-shape, has neoclassical roots and its altars were created by the marble worker Benedetto Rondolini from St. Ippolito in 1782. The Church has paintings such as the three eighteenth-century altarpieces by Pietro Tedeschi from Pesaro and the chapel keeps a canvas of Our Lady of Aid which was realised by an unknown painter during the first years of the 16th century. In the passage between the cloister and the church you can admire the 16th century fresco of Our Lady of the Milk. A small number of Austin friars still lives in the Monastery as the father Stefano Pigni whose sculptures stand in different parts in Cartoceto.

The Parish Church of St. Peter and St. Paul

The Parish Church of St.Peter and St.Paul stands on the top of a hill which dominates the Metauro valley, just 1 Km from the historical centre. A memorial tablet dating back to 79 A.D. enclosed in the church front attests that the early structure was probably built to substitute a pagan temple during the early Christian age. The original copy of that tablet is in Urbino and it verbatim quotes: "L.Razio e L.L. Polibio dedicated this porch during the consulship of L.Mennio Pollione and Q. Allio Maximo on May 23rd". The Parish Church of St.Peter and St.Paul, whose bell tower dates back to 1726, had been Cartoceto's parish church until a new parish was built in the village in 1573. In the 17th century it was given to the minor observant friars who made changes and built their monastery next to the church. The monastery was then demolished to widen the adjacent cemetery in 1861. The picturesque five arches porch leads to the neoclassical building which keeps five frontal pieces of the altar made of scagliola dating back to the first decades of 18th century.

The Historical Country Houses

The private historic country houses in the countryside of Cartoceto are various. Villa Salomone, which dates back to the end of the 18th and the beginning of the 19th century is one of them and itís located not far from the the Parish Church of St.Peter and St.Paul. Villa Salomone, whose salon has a painted canvas as a false ceiling, contained an ancient piano that, according to legend, was played by Listz. Not far from it and on the other side of the road there is Villa Bellaria with its two flights stair and the beautiful stone portal. The hall's doors are the original ones and the access ramp for horses is still to be found in the wide cellars. Casa Montefiore or Villa Beatrice is situated near the road leading from the parish church to the locality of Molinaccio. It dates back to the first half of the 19th century and still has the chapel. Villa Corbelli was built during the 17th century and from its location itís possible to admire the Metauro valley down to the sea. On the other side of the road stands the beautiful seventeenth-century rural building of the recently restored Church of Saint Anne.